George Jones Is the Big BKR Smackdown Champ [VIDEO]
When the dust settled and the smoke cleared and the phones stopped ringing and Facebook cramped up and the text line melted, George Jones’ immortal “He Stopped Loving Her Today” was declared the Big BKR Smackdown champ–the most popular song of the last 40 years.
Chad, Jaclyn, and I cannot thank you, our WBKR audience, enough for making this particular Friday one of the most enjoyable we’ve ever had. We saw and shared comments throughout the day from folks who were making sure they could listen to the entire show regardless of what they might be doing.
We heard from a family of three that planned their entire day around it. We’re all very happy that you had a great time listening and voting. In fact, a LOT of you did just that as more than 5,000 votes came in for the Big BKR Smackdown–online preliminaries included. Thanks again. Here is your official Top 10 of the last 40 years:
1. “He Stopped Loving Her Today” (George Jones)
2. “Family Tradition” (Hank Williams Jr.)
3. “Anymore” (Travis Tritt)
4. “A Country Boy Can Survive” (Hank Williams Jr.)
5. “The Devil Went Down to Georgia” (The Charlie Daniels Band)
6. “Don’t Close Your Eyes” (Keith Whitley)
TIE “I Will Always Love You” (Dolly Parton)
8. “Gunpowder & Lead” (Miranda Lambert)
9. “The Dance” (Garth Brooks)
10. “Where Were You When the World Stopped Turning” (Alan Jackson)