Ich Bin Ein Beerliner: Best German Beer Choices in the Spirit of America on Tap
The 16 day brew bash that is Oktoberfest in Munich is going on now and the spirit of Oktoberfest hangs in the air around the world like a fresh fall fog.
This fog is crisp and refreshing just like the typical Oktoberfest beer. The modern Oktoberfest beer is similar in color and consistency to the American Lager. It is called Marzen because traditionally, it is brewed in March to imbibe in October. In the earlier years of the festival the Marzen lager was darker, but it has grown consistently lighter in hue over the years.
Those responsible for making monstrous amount of oat soda are an amazing inebriated alliance of six breweries. When seeking a true German beer in the United States, these brands will be the ones that will be most readily available for enjoyment. The six breweries are: Spaten, Lowenbrau, Augustiner-Brau, Hofbrau-Munchen, Paulaner and Hacker Pschorr (pronounced “shore”). The festival is a registered trademark of these six festivals.
The base pigment of the stars and stripes own beer culture is largely due to German immigrants. Men like Adolphus Busch, Frederick Miller, Joseph Schlitz, Phillip Best and more were responsible for the fermentation of American’s feverish lager lust. So, grab a glass boot and salute these influential men, Oktoberfest and the arrival of autumn with any one of these fine beers from the Mutterland. We’re shooting for anything other than the usual suspects here (Marzen or Oktoberfest seasonal)!
- Warsteiner Dunkel – Rich, roasted malt taste with a slightly sweet finish.
- Hacker Pschorr Weiss – Unfiltered wheat beer with notes of banana and honey mixed in with the citrus base.
- Beck’s Sapphire – Exquisitely refined, smooth deep golden goodness with a 6% ABV kick.
- Franziskaner Hefe-Weissbier Dunkel – Dark brown, slightly hoppy and full-bodied.
- Paulaner Salvatore Double Bock – The Paulaner original. A hefty, hearty brew for dreary days.
- Wernesgruner Dark – Easy drinking, flavorful dark lager.
- Spaten Optimator – Packs a 7.5% ABV punch, bottom fermented and supremely bold.
- Erdinger Pikantus – Bock and wheat beer hybrid. Full flavored and not too sweet.
- Radeberger Pilsner – Pilsner and lager hybrid. Green walnut, juniper and slight vanilla aroma.
- Augustiner-Brau Heller Bock – Color of a lager, but deceptively strong at %7 ABV.
Was machst du in deiner freizeit? (What do you do in your free time?) I drink beer. Prost! – Nick Durcholz
Thirsty? There's no better way to celebrate Oktoberfest than to head out to the America on Tap event happening October 3rd from 1-5 PM at the corner of Second and Sycamore in downtown Evansville.
America On Tap is the foremost producer of premium beer festivals in the country, and the first and only nationally integrated entertainment series dedicated to showcasing specialty and craft breweries from around the globe.
With more than 70 planned beer festivals in 2015, each featuring sought after specialty and craft breweries and their highly anticipated releases, America On Tap delivers a unique and robust beer focused experience filled with live music, great vendors and delicious local food! You can also expect live music from The Beat Daddys!Tickets are $35 in advance and $40 the day of the event.
TEXT BREW TO 89000 FOR ‘AMERICA ON TAP CRAFT BEER FEST’ UPDATES