Here's a delicious What's Cookin'? recipe from Melissa Webb and Tabatha Carman, from the UK Cooperative Extension Office. Everyone loves a good macaroni and cheese recipe. Well, this one packs a big surprise. Check it out!
1 large summer squash, chopped
1 1/2 cups elbow macaroni
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 cup skim milk
1 tablespoon reduced-fat cream cheese
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1 teaspoon salt
1. In a covered vegetable steamer or saucepan with boiling water, steam squash for 7 minutes or until tender. Drain and place squash in blender or food processor. Purée until smooth and set aside.
2. Cook macaroni according to package instructions and drain.
3. In a large saucepan over medium high heat, melt butter. Add flour and whisk nonstop for 1 minute. Gradually add milk and stir until bubbly.
4. Add squash purée to the milk mixture and stir until combined. Add cream cheese, 1/4 cup of shredded cheese and salt. Stir until cheese is melted.
5. Pour sauce over macaroni and stir until coated. Sprinkle remaining shredded cheese on top and serve.