This Kentucky Sweet Potato Bread Will Make Your Toes Curl
The UK Cooperative Extension Office has created an amazing bread that will have you celebrating the arrival of Fall. Though, honestly, this quick and easy treat could be served any time of the year. Here's how to make an absolutely mouth-watering and delicious Kentucky Sweet Potato Bread.
KENTUCKY SWEET POTATO BREAD
1/4 cup margarine
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup cooked mashed sweet potatoes
3 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoon grated orange peel
1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 tablespoons chopped pecans
1) In a mixing bowl, cream 1/4 cup margarine and 1/2 cup brown sugar.
2) Add eggs and mix well.
3) Add sweet potatoes, milk and grated orange peel; mix well.
4) In a separate bowl, mix flours, allspice, nutmeg and pecans.
5) Blend the wet and dry mixtures, stirring only until just combined.
6) Spray a 9-inch x 5-inch x 3-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
7) Pour mixture into pan and bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes.
8) When the loaf is removed from the oven, allow to cool for 10 minutes before applying glaze.
And speaking of that glaze, here's how to make it!
1 tablespoon margarine
1 tablespoon reduced fat cream cheese
1/4 cup confectioner's sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon milk
1 1/2 teaspoon orange juice
1 teaspoon grated orange peel
DIRECTIONS FOR GLAZE:
1) In a small mixing bowl, mix the margarine and cream cheese.
2) Add the confectioner's sugar, milk, orange juice and orange peel. Mix well.
3) Remove loaf from pan and spread.
And, the fourth step, THE most important, is ENJOY!
Don't forget. The UK Cooperative Extension Office is dedicated to creating healthy and affordable recipes for families across the Commonwealth. The price breakdown on this recipe is impressive. The estimated cost of the entire recipe is just $4.63 and the cost per serving is just $.29.