Folks on the west side of Owensboro woke up the sounds of sirens and the smell of smoke Wednesday. There was an early morning fire at Owensboro's world famous Moonlite Bar-B-Q.

Photo by Michelle Warren/WFIE

Authorities were called to the scene when witnesses noticed flames shooting from the roof of the popular restaurant and crews were immediately on hand to battle the blaze.  Local fire departments worked to extinguish the fire and discovered the fire actually began in the restaurant's pit.

But there is good news!  Damage was minimal and contained and Moonlite WILL be open today as scheduled!