Delicious Kentucky Advent Calendar Features Cookies from Owensboro Bakery
When I was little, my mom used to wrap 24 little presents for me to open each day until Christmas. It was so exciting every year to see what fun things she found! Advent calendars are a tradition for lots of families to celebrate the holiday season and are a fun way to count down to the big day for kids young and old.
Delicious Kentucky Advent Calendar
While scrolling through Facebook, I noticed a picture of an advent calendar that was Kentucky-themed. Lo and behold, I found it is full of delicious treats from all over the state. I was also really surprised to notice that one of my favorite local spots is featured for one of the days! Here are a few of Kentucky's famous goodies included in this fun Christmas countdown box.
Ruth Hunt Candies
Located in Mt. Sterling, KY, this candy company has been around for over 100 years! They make glorious creative sweets including chocolate-covered orange peels, bourbon balls, turtles, chocolate-covered TWINKIES and so much more. The treat they include in the Delicious Kentucky advent calendar is called a Blue Monday Bar. Pulled cream candy covered in chocolate. Mmmmmmm...
Bourbon Barrel Foods
This company carries a wide array of products from sauces and seasonings to cocktail garnishes. We used to carry their amazing Henry Bain's sauce at a local shop where I used to work (Studio Slant holler!) The Woodford Reserve cherries are to die for! It's the Mint Julep Sugar that is the star of the show for Christmas. Raw sugar with a zest of refreshing mint sounds wonderful for desserts or a creative adult beverage.
Niko's Bakery and Cafe
Owensboro's beloved bakery and deli, Niko's is included in the Delicious Kentucky advent calendar for the second year now. I gave fresh bread, coffee, and treats to lots of people last year for Christmas who all raved about them. They are one of my favorite places in the whole world. They may not be intricately decorated like some of the other treats they offer, but do not sleep on their Amoretti cookies! An Italian recipe made with almond flour, the version included in the box has an apricot jam "thumbprint." It reminds me of a softer shortbread cookie. They carry a lemon flavor too that I had the other day with lunch, and it was the perfect sweet ending.
Here is the list of other Kentucky-made items in the Delicious Kentucky Advent Calendar:
- Elmwood Inn’s (Danville, KY | 4 Sachets of Tea)
- Yankee Doodle Deli (Covington, KY | Pack of 4 Zolos)
- Whelpdale Chocolate (Louisville, KY | Buttons in a Bag)
- Kentucky Chocolate Co. (Louisville, KY | Chocolate Cups)
- Grateful Grahams (Newport, KY | 1.6-ounce bag of Graham Crackers)
- Louisville Vegan Jerky (Louisville, KY | 3 Oz. Vegan Jerky)
- Muth’s Candies (Louisville, KY | Horseshoe Molded Chocolate)
- Kentucky Nut Corp, (Hickman, KY | 2 Oz. Muchin Pecans)
- Rebecca Ruth (Frankfort, KY | 2 bourbon balls)
- Ruth Hunt (Mt. Sterling, KY | Blue Monday Bar)
- Bauer's Candy (Lawrenceburg, KY | Modjeskas)
- Made by Mavis (Covington, KY | Mini Jar Honey Pear Jam)
- Sweet Ace Cakes (Fort Thomas, KY | Schlurpy Hot Chocolate With Schmallow)
- Laughing Bees Honey (Covington, KY | Honey Rice Krispie)
- Chocomania (Georgetown, KY | 2 truffles)
- Niko's Bakery (Owensboro, KY | 3 Amaretti Cookies)
- South 4 Farms (Scottsville, KY | 2 pack Maple Candy)
- Bourbon Bon Bons (Lexington-Fayette, KY | 2 Bon Bons)
- Bourbon Barrel Foods (Louisville, KY | .5 ounce tin Mint Julep Sugar)
- Mandies Candies (Burnside, KY | 2 Chocolate Covered Oreos)
According to their website, they usually sell out and they are over halfway to doing so again this year. If you want to try it out, check out Delicious Kentucky.