Ronald McDonald House of the Ohio Valley in Need of Holiday Home Cooked Meals for Residents!
Every year, I have the extreme pleasure of delivering toys and home goods to The Ronald McDonald House of the Ohio Valley with 911 Gives Hope for the Holidays. And while toys and supplies are important, there is also another special need that they need help with this holiday season. The Ronald McDonald House is a home-away-from-home for families who have sick kids in area hospitals that live out-of-town. And, if you've ever spent any time in the hospital you know that you get tired of hospital food really fast - especially around the holidays. They are in need of some special volunteers to purchase and prepare home-cooked meals or restaurant carry-in for residents - especially the week after Christmas and the first week of January!
"We anticipate it staying very busy for the next several weeks. We could really use lunch and breakfast meal providers the last two weeks of December and then all meals the first few weeks of January.
The holidays are a really tough time to be away from home for anyone, but especially those who are away due to a hospitalized child. We really try to make sure our houseguests get to experience the joy of the season while here and one of the best ways to do that is with a nice meal. When folks sign-up to for Meals of Love they are really putting the 'comfort' in 'comfort food' and it lifts everyone’s spirits so much, " said Ronald McDonald House employees.
Please don’t hesitate to contact RMH with any questions (812) 402-7642.
It’s easy to sign up!
Simply create a free account on our Meal Train Calendar, and you can schedule a time that works for you and your group.
*Note: If you’re unsure of what you will be serving when you reserve a date, we welcome you to re-visit the website and add it.
Here are a few quick tips for our Meals of Love program:
- The average amount of people to cook for is 15-20 people. Be sure to call the day before to check for occupancy of the House (812) 402-7642.
- They have three kitchens fully equipped with pots, pans, baking sheets, and cooking utensils. They have a pantry with some cooking essentials, but ask that you bring all required ingredients.
- Please be aware that not all families show up at once to eat. Some families are unable to return to the House until much later at night. The ability to heat up leftovers at midnight and for breakfast or lunch the next day is always appreciated.
- Breakfast- served at 8:00 AM
Brunch – served at 10:00 AM
Lunch – served at 12:00 PM
Dinner – served at 6:00 PM
Here are a few quick tips for our Meals of Love To-Go program:
- Meals are to be prepared at the Ronald McDonald House (located at 3540 Washington Ave.)
- Plan to prepare food for 12 people.
- Meals of Love To-Go is a little different in that we request easy “To-Go” meals such as: sandwiches, chips, microwaveable mac & cheese, and an easy-to-eat individually wrapped dessert.
- Sandwich “To-Go” meals are to be put in paper lunch bags.