Ronald McDonald House of the Ohio Valley in Need of Home Cooked/Grilled Meals for Residents this Summer
Every Christmas, I have the extreme pleasure of delivering toys and home goods to The Ronald McDonald House of the Ohio Valley with 911 Gives Hope for the Holidays. And during the holiday season, we are all excited to pitch in and extend good will towards man but sometimes in the summer months, we get busy with ball games, weddings, and spending time with friends and family and might forget that needs are still there.
The Ronald McDonald House is a home-away-from-home for families who have sick kids in area hospitals that live out-of-town. And, if you've ever spent any time in the hospital you know that you get tired of hospital food really fast - especially in summer when grilling out is the official 'taste' of summer! They are in need of some special volunteers to purchase and prepare home cooked meals or restaurant carry-in for 10 residents - especially around 4th of July and back to school season.
According to Abigail Adler, the Development Director, "As the 'dog days' set in and people head out for vacations, our Meals of Love program does tend to suffer (especially in July and August.) It would be great to have some families, civic groups, businesses, book clubs, churches, sports teams, etc. hop on the Meal Train this summer. Something fun for our houseguests (and perfect for summertime) is hosting a grill-out in our backyard. We have a gas grill and picnic tables ready to go!"
Complete details on the program, including the easy online sign-up tool, can be found here: http://rmhcohiovalley.org/how-you-can-help/provide-a-meal/
From the Provide a Meal to the Ronald McDonald House website:
One of our most popular community group volunteer opportunities is our meal program. It is an act of kindness that translates feelings of concern into a tangible expression of human compassion. In a time when families are going through difficult circumstances, it is nice to have a hot, delicious home-cooked meal prepared for them.
Please don’t hesitate to contact us with any questions (812) 402-7642.
It’s easy to sign up!
Simply create a free account on our Meal Train Calendar, and you can schedule a time that works for you and your group.
*Note: If you’re unsure of what you will be serving when you reserve a date, we welcome you to re-visit the website and add it.
Click here for Meals of Love Meal Train Calendar (Ronald McDonald House)
Click here for Meals of Love-To-Go Meal Train Calendar (The Women’s Hospital)
Here are a few quick tips for our Meals of Love program:
- The average amount of people to cook for is 15-20 people. Be sure to call the day before to check for occupancy of the House (812)402-7642.
- We have 3 kitchens fully equipped with pots, pans, baking sheets, and cooking utensils. We have a pantry with some cooking essentials, but ask that you bring all required ingredients.
- Please be aware that not all families show up at once to eat. Some families are unable to return to the House until much later at night. The ability to heat up leftovers at midnight and for breakfast or lunch the next day is always appreciated.
- Breakfast- served at 8:00 AM
Brunch – served at 10:00 AM
Lunch – served at 12:00 PM
Dinner – served at 6:00 PM
Here are a few quick tips for our Meals of Love To-Go program:
- Meals are to be prepared at the Ronald McDonald House (located at 3540 Washington Ave.) then delivered to The Women’s Hospital (4199 Gateway Blvd., Newburgh, IN) by 6:00 PM.
- Plan to prepare food for 12 people.
- Meals of Love To-Go is a little different in that we request easy “To-Go” meals such as: sandwiches, chips, microwaveable mac & cheese, and an easy-to-eat individually wrapped dessert.
- Sandwich “To-Go” meals are to be put in paper lunch bags.