The WBKR Road War is TONIGHT!
Road Warriors!! The "Scariest Road Trip in Town" isTONIGHT and it's your chance to win $1,000.00 in our annual city-wide road rally. Here's how it works. Round up your friends and come to our official starting line . . . LEWIS LANE BAPTIST CHURCH! You can sign in anytime between 5pm and 6pm CST. At the starting line, we'll give you a list of clues that guide you along our mystery course. Along that course, you'll come to checkpoints and get more clues that eventually lead you the finish line. There, the team that followed the clues most closely will win $1,000.00! So, what do you think? Are you ready to be a Road Warrior? Then read on for our official rules and to see our instructional "how-to" video . . .
If you're not familiar with how the Road War works, here's an instructional video Jaclyn and I made last week that explains it in full, and rather, comical detail.
Now that you have seen the video and know what to expect, here are the official rules. Pay close attention, because there are some helpful hints here as well.
THE WBKR ROAD WAR
Official Contest Rules
- How to Enter the Contest:
- To participate in this contest, WBKR listeners must enter their vehicle and Road War team at our official starting point (LEWIS LANE BAPTIST CHURCH) on the day of the event, Saturday, October 20th, 2012. Entry fee is $5 per person. Road War teams can consist of 2 to 6 members.
- How to play
a. WBKR Road War participants (from here on termed “Road Warriors”) must check in at the official Road War starting point (LEWIS LANE BAPTIST CHURCH) anytime between 5pm and 6pm CST. At the official registration site, Road Warriors must pay the $5 per person entry fee, present valid driver’s licenses, show proof of insurance and registration for the vehicle being used in the Road War, sign appropriate liability waivers and have their starting mileage checked by Road War officials.
- Upon completion of the check-in, Road Warriors will receive their first set of clues that will lead them along a pre-determined road course. The WBKR Road War is NOT a timed or speed event (and observance of ALL traffic laws is strictly enforced). Road Warriors must be painstaking in their efforts to decipher and follow the clues for the course. Ultimately, the winning Road Warriors will be those who have correctly followed the clues and have traveled most closely to the number of miles pre-determined to be the exact distance of the Road War course.
- Road Warrior teams will also be given an official Road War scorecard. At the beginning of the course, a WBKR race official will certify the teams’ starting mileage and return the scorecard to the team of warriors. Teams will keep those scorecards for the duration of the race and return them to WBKR officials at the finish location, where they will have the total miles traveled certified by a race official. Official scorecards must be used and duplicates or makeshift renderings will not be accepted. Teams losing their official scorecards will be disqualified from the event.
- Because of the nature of the Road War, teams must do their best NOT to stray from the course for snacks, beverages, fuel, etc. Excessive travel will affect your final mileage totals. Participants should fuel up before the race and take advantage of food and drink pit stop opportunities along the course.
- During the Road War, Warriors will encounter a series of checkpoints/pit stops where teams will collect additional clues that guide them along latter stages of the course. The final leg of the Road War will lead Road Warriors to the finish line destination, where each team will submit their final mileage to race officials (in the aforementioned manner) and the winning team will be declared. Teams must check in at the finish line before 10:00pm CST regardless of where they are on the course. ***Road War officials reserve the right to adjust this time accordingly based on performance and efficiency of teams on course***
- The grand prize champs will be the team of Road Warriors with the mileage total closest to the actual pre-determined distance of the course. In case of a tie, a random drawing will be held to determine the winning team. Because of the nature of the event, all Road War vehicles MUST be equipped with functional odometers.
- GPS devices and road maps are permitted, but likely will not help. Also, each Road War team MUST have at least ONE CELL PHONE with text and, NEW THIS YEAR . . . Smart Phone applications!
- The WBKR/Halloween Havoc Road War is a rain or shine event.
- Eligibility restrictions
a. Contest is open to WBKR listeners who are 16-years-of-age or older with a valid driver’s license and who reside in the immediate WBKR listening area. Children under the age of 16 ARE permitted to ride along and compete with their parents/legal guardians/friends who meet the age requirements. Employees of WBKR, its licensee, corporate parent Townsquare Media, affiliated entities, its affiliated advertising agencies, participating sponsors/promotional partners, other radio stations in the WBKR immediate listening area and the members of their immediate families are ineligible to participate or win.
- Winner(s) will be required by Townsquare Media to sign a liability and release form prior to acceptance of the prize and must have one piece of valid photo ID, social security or birth certificate, including name, and address.
- Contestants must compete in the WBKR Road War on Saturday, October 20th, 2012, to be eligible to win the grand prize package. Entry fee is $5 per person and teams of 2 to 6 are allowed.
- All Road Warrior drivers must show driver’s license and proof of insurance and registration for the vehicle entered in the event and ALL participants must sign appropriate release forms to be eligible for grand prize consideration.
- All WBKR Road Warriors MUST sign a HOLD HARMLESS agreement. Failure to sign appropriate waiver forms will result in forfeiture of contest eligibility.
- The grand prize of The WBKR Road War is $1,000.00 and will be paid to the winning team within 30 days of the completion of the event.
- The grand prize winner will receive the grand prize (or representation/promise of the grand prize) as described above during an award presentation at our finish line destination. That award presentation is tentatively scheduled for 10:00pm CST on Saturday, October 20th, 2012. Distribution of that prize money among team members is the responsibility of the Road Warriors who comprise that group, though all participants on the winning team MUST provide personal information necessary for taxation. Actual grand prize payment will be within 30 days of event.
- Pursuant to the liability release, the winners will agree to hold the event’s title sponsor (WBKR), its starting line (Lewis Lane Baptist Church) and its secret checkpoint and finish line locations (to be revealed the during the Road War), WBKR, its corporate licensee, its parent corporation Townsquare Media, affiliated companies and the officers, shareholders, directors, employees, agents and representatives of each of them HARMLESS against any against any and all claims or liability arising directly or indirectly from the prize or contest.
- The Grand Prize package will be awarded to a contest participant or group of participants. The winner(s) must agree to take ownership of the specified grand prize package as no prize substitute will be awarded. The odds of winning both aspects of this skill-based contest are based on the number of qualified entries and your skill.
- Winner(s) is/are responsible for payment of all federal, state, and local taxes if applicable. Winners WILL be required to sign an IRS Form 1099 or the equivalent. Winner(s) must provide WBKR with a social security number for tax purposes.
- By participating in this contest, the grand prize winner agrees to have his/her name, voice, or likeness used, by any of the sponsor parties, in any advertising or broadcasting material relating to this contest without additional financial or other compensation.
- No purchase is necessary. Void where prohibited.
- WBKR, in its sole discretion, reserves the right to disqualify any person tampering with the entry process or found to be in violation of the rules. It further reserves the right to cancel, terminate or modify the contest if it is not capable of completion as planned, including infection by tampering, unauthorized intervention or technical failures of any sort.
- WBKR reserves the right to make changes in the rules of the contest. Those changes can be made at will, are final and cannot be disputed.
- All entries become the property of WBKR and will not be returned to the contestant.
- By completing the registration, each contestant agrees to be bound by the rules and regulations of the contest and by all decisions made by WBKR staff.
- Decisions of WBKR management with respect to this contest are final.
- Failure to comply with the contest rules may result in a contestant’s disqualification.