Did You Know There’s a Christmas Candy Made Out of Saltine Crackers?
Saturday night, Kevin and I decided to make a bunch of Christmas candy. And, well, we did. We made Peanut Butter Fudge, Peanut Butter Balls, Coconut Bon Bons, Cherry Cheesecake Cookies and something we had never heard of or attempted before. We stumbled across a recipe for Cracker Candy and were intrigued to learn that the entire recipe is built around a sleeve of saltine crackers.
Now, we are both huge fans of crackers. And we're both really picky about brands. Pretty much, if it's not Zesta, it's not happening in our house. We can both gut an entire sleeve with one bowl of chili. So, imagine our surprise to learn that you can actually make candy with them too.
Check this out. Here's how to make Cracker Candy!
One sleeve of crackers (clearly, we prefer Zesta)
1 cup butter (2 sticks)
1 cup + 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
One bag of chocolate chips (milk chocolate or semi-sweet)
1/2 cup toasted pecans (or walnuts)
1) Line a sheet pan with aluminum foil and spray the foil with non-stick spray.
2) Line the foiled pan with crackers. They should not overlap.
3) On the stove, melt the butter then mix in the brown sugar. Bring to a boil for three minutes and pour and spread evenly over the layer of crackers.
4) Bake at 350 degrees for five minutes.
5) Remove pan from the oven and top the crackers with the entire bag of chocolate chips. Again, make sure they're sprinkled evenly over the crackers. Then, cover with a sheet of foil for roughly three minutes or until the chocolate has melted. Use a spatula to spread the chocolate evenly over the crackers.
6) Sprinkle the pecans or walnuts over the top.
7) Cover the entire dish with foil and freeze for twenty minutes.
8) After 20 minutes, remove from freezer and break into chunks and pieces and SERVE!
**Note, we actually made two different kinds of Cracker Candy with the same dish of crackers. We topped half with walnuts. On the other half, we topped the chocolate with sea salt and it was absolutely DELICIOUS- the perfect combination of sweet and salty.**