Winter Recipe Idea: Portuguese Sausage-Kale Soup in the Crockpot
When I get home from work, I usually don't feel much like cooking. This soup can sit on low in your slow cooker for eight hours and turns out to be a hardy and delicious soup.
- 8-10 small to medium red potatoes (peeled and chopped into bite-size chunks)
- One package of sweet Italian sausage - turkey or pork (sliced into bite-size chunks)
- One bunch of kale (chopped into bit size chunks -- these will also cook down)
- One and a half cup carrots (chopped into large chunks)
- One cup chopped mushrooms
- One 32-oz box chicken broth
- Three tablespoons butter
- Three tablespoons flour
- Three cups milk
- Brown sausage in a skillet
- In a slow cooker, layer potatoes then cooked sausage, then carrots then kale.
- Pour chicken stock over ingredients.
- Cook on LOW for 8 hours, or HIGH 4 hours.
After cook time...
- Saute mushrooms - place cooked mushrooms into soup.
- Melt butter in a pan over low heat, add flour to melted butter one tablespoon at a time. Mix into a paste.
- Slowly add milk - stirring constantly. Stir until all lumps are gone and consistency is thick but liquid.
- Add milk mixture to crockpot.