Here’s an Owensboro Burger Week Condiment You Can Make at Home
The 3rd Annual Owensboro Burger Week is underway and people are flocking to restaurants around town to try a variety of $7 burgers. Those burgers are all competing for the title of Best Burger in Owensboro. The race is on to be crowned the 2023 Owensboro Burger Week champion and over thirty local restaurants are serving up contenders.
Patty Millay of Owensboro has come up with a fun way to celebrate Burger Week at home. She found and tinkered with a recipe for Tomato Jam, which she calls the best thing she's ever made for our weekly What's Cookin'? radio segment.
Here's what Patty has to say about the recipe!
OH MY GOODNESS! I decided to make this in honor of burger week as a great topping to a delicious high-quality burger. What I didn't know was that this would be excellent with cheese and crackers, avocado toast, scrambled eggs, the list could go on for a while! I had to stop myself from taste testing it! This is by far the best thing I've made in a long time! I can't wait to eat it up and make it again!
- 2 pounds very good ripe tomatoes, cored and coarsely chopped (Patty uses Roma)
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated or minced ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne (Patty used red pepper flakes instead)
1) Add all the ingredients to a heavy-bottom saucepan and bring the mixture to a boil. Stir frequently to prevent the bottom from burning.
2) Reduce the heat and simmer. Stir occasionally- until the mixture has thickened the consistency of jam.
3) Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
4) Transfer to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator (up to 10 days).
**Patty boiled this for 4 minutes, then turned the heat down to simmer. She then cooked it for an additional 36 minutes.
Patty Pro Tip: You need to stay near this to stir every few minutes, but you are free to be doing other things while this cooks.
Patty's Tomato Jam recipe yields about a 1/2 pint of jam. She says, "I hope you're as happy with this as I am!"
And if you'd like to check out some other wildly creative ways to top and garnish your burgers, check out this year's entries for Owensboro Burger Week!