What’s Cookin’? Cheddar and Ham Puff Pastry Jack-o’-Lanterns [Recipe]
Brooklyn Maple and Nick Cooper, with Kentucky Legend, joined us for What's Cookin'? this morning and served up a Halloween-inspired treat your kids are going to have fun making and eating. They're Cheddar and Ham Puff Pastry Jack-o'-Lanterns. Here's how to make 'em.
CHEDDAR AND HAM PUFF PASTRY JACK-O'-LANTERNS
2 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed and cold
4 slices Kentucky Legend Quarter Sliced Ham
4 slices orange Cheddar cheese
2 tbsp prepared mustard
1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Unroll pastry onto lightly floured work surface. Cut into 8 rounds with 4 1/2-inch round cookie cutter. With sharp knife, cut out jack-o’-lantern eyes, nose and mouth from half of the rounds.
- Using the same round cutter, cut out 4 rounds each from ham and Cheddar.
- Brush tops of solid pastry rounds with mustard; top with ham and cheese rounds. Top with cutout pastry rounds and press edges to seal.
- Place rounds on parchment paper–lined baking trays. Whisk egg with 1 tbsp cold water and brush over tops.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden and puffed. Let cool on rack for 5 minutes before serving.
Tip: Add a sprinkling of herbs to the top of the jack-o’-lanterns to create green hair.