How to Make Tuscan Chicken Pasta: Fresh and Simple Summer Meal
If you are looking for a new recipe to add to the rotation that is perfect for summer, the fine folks at the Daviess County Nutrition Program have shared a delicious chicken pasta dish that showcases all of the tasty tomatoes in season right now.
My friend Catherine Dowdy visited the morning show for our weekly What's Cookin' segment with everything we need to know to make this ourselves, and thankfully it looks really easy! It is definitely full of flavor and can be eaten hot or cold, so it would be great to use for meal preps. I love that for a pasta dish, it is still pretty healthy, and I am always trying to find ways to sneak in whole grains and veggies for my unpredictably picky 9-year-old.
Tuscan Chicken Pasta Ingredients:
- 1 pound boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinaigrette or Italian dressing
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bag (6 ounces) spinach, chopped coarsely
- 8 ounces whole-wheat pasta or spaghetti
- Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Wash hands with warm water and soap, scrubbing for at least 20 seconds.
- Wash produce under cool running water and dry before preparing for the recipe.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- If using thick chicken breasts, slice crosswise into thinner cutlets. Place the chicken breast and halved tomatoes on the baking sheet. Drizzle with the olive oil and balsamic vinaigrette (or Italian dressing). Sprinkle with basil, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and black pepper.
- Wash hands after handling raw chicken.
- Place baking sheet in the preheated oven and cook for about 30 to 40 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F using a meat thermometer. Note: The thickness of the chicken will impact the cooking time; always use a meat thermometer to check for doneness.
- While the chicken and tomatoes cook, prepare the pasta according to package directions.
- Once done, remove chicken and tomatoes from the oven. Add chopped spinach to the baking sheet. Cover and allow the spinach to steam and the chicken to rest for about 10 minutes or until the spinach wilts.
- Cut the chicken into thin strips or bite-sized pieces. Combine cooked pasta with the chicken, tomatoes, and juices from the baking pan. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese, if desired.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.